There are two ways of franked mail preparation – Collection and Posting or Dropping off. First, let’s discuss preparing franked mails for Collection.
Collection Guide – Letters
- Separate your mails by size – Standard and Large
- Separate by service – First Class and Second Class
- If you are sending over 150 Standard mails or over 40 Large mails, use a tray. Don’t use a string or rubber bands to hold your letters together.
- For Standard Letters, place letters upside down with the franking mark facing the front.
- For Large Letters, face them upwards with the Franking mark in the same corner.
Remember: 10 Kg only! 340 Standard Letters or 80 Large Letters
- Order trays for free at www.royalmail.com/mailsupplies.
- If you’re sending less, just separate your mail by Class and Size. The Customer Collection driver will do the rest. For your supplies, just order from your approved manufacturer.
Collection Guide – Packets Only
- For bulk packages, use bags and separate by service – First Class and Second Class.
- Place packages in bags then secure with Service Ties – Again, First and Second Classes.
Remember: 11 Kg only!
- Do not put your Special Delivery™ and International Signed For™ franked mails in bags or trays. Hand them separately to your Customer Collection Driver to ensure you get the service you paid for.
Posting or Dropping Off Guide – Letters
- 1. Separate Standard and Large Mails.
- 2. Separate by class – First or Second.
- 3. Place your letters into appropriate Pouches. Separate sizes and classes. No need to use strings or rubber bands to tie your mail.
Remember: Pouches can hold 200 Letters or 45 Large Letters
- Use White Pouches for International Mail.
- Visit www.royalmail.com/mailsupplies to order supplies.
- Separate your Franked Special Delivery™ and International Signed For™ mail. Give them to the Post Office® branch or Enquiry Office staff.
Posting or Dropping Off Guide – Packets Only
- Separate your mails by Service – First or Second Class
- Place your mail in bags labelled by service. Secure with ties also labelled with service type.
Remember: 11 Kg only!
- Order supplies at www.royalmail.com/mailsupplies
- Post your franked mail to Post Office® branches, Royal Mail Delivery Offices & Mail Centres and Business Post Boxes®.
- To know your local posting sites, go to www.royalmail.com/franking
The above guides will help you meet the requirements of the Legal Scheme for Franking Letters and Parcels 2008.